Friday, April 25, 2014

Blog 19: Independent Component 2



LITERAL(a) “I, Lizzeth Acuna, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”
(b) My CPR/First Aid class and the book published by the American Red cross to supplement class proved to be very valuable sources. I also found an article,  Learning Styles Inventory With Multitrait-Multimethod Confirmatory Factor Analysis Models, really gave a deeper insight on the true importance of teaching to different learning styles. As always, my mentor, Fabian Villalobos, was an integral part of my component. He's been overlooking my practices and has continually helped me in improving my teaching abilities. My other important source would be my interview with sensei Frank Marquez. He helped me solidify my answers.
(c) Provide a digital spreadsheet (aka log of the 30 hours). 
  Its right there -->


(d) My independent component's purpose was to further explore my answers and figure out which one was more effective. The way I solidified my first answer, parental involvement, was through observation during my mentorship, and by conducting unofficial interviews with senseis, parents and students. I worked on validating my second answer, preparedness, by taking a CPR/First Aid class and by continuing my research. I also worked on running activities with the kids using equipment and without. This helped me understand how important it is for a sensei to be prepared for emergencies and to teach a class. As for my third answer, in depth knowledge/understanding and ability to teach karate, I worked on teaching class myself a few times to see how much my knowledge and teaching abilities determined how well the kids understood what I taught. I also began helping out two upper belt with improving their teaching abilities. Through both of them I was able to thoroughly understand exactly how much my third answer impacts the success of a sensei. To validate all of my answers I interviewed sensei Frank Marquez, who's been teaching for about 20 years. He agreed with me that while all my answers are important for success, my third answer holds the most weight. 

INTERPRETIVE
Solidifying all of my answers took a great deal of time. I found specific ways to approach each one of them to see just how effective they are. For my first answer, I observed in class and in tournaments and conducted unofficial interviews. For my second answer, I took a CPR/First Aid course and I experimented with teaching with and without equipment. For my third answer, I taught class myself and worked with two students at improving his teaching skills. Overall, I spent a decent 10 hours on each answer.

APPLIED
My component helped me explore each of my answers to greater depth. I explored my first answer, parental involvement, by observing and through conducting unofficial interviews with parents and students. However I found that my third answer, in depth knowledge/understanding and ability to teach karate, was my best answer by teaching myself, and helping two upper belt student with their teaching skills. Through him it was that I was able to thoroughly understand exactly how much my third answer impacts the success of a sensei. Overall the component helped me narrow down to my best answer. 


Evidence: 
(This picture is from the tournament I judged in January. This was actually the ring next to the one I was judging at. The judge on the left is Brendan and the one on the right is a guy we all call Screamer Dude because whenever he performs a kata he screams really loud.)

(This is Ana Cortez, one of the students that I helped with their teaching skills. Through her I realized that by understanding techniques thoroughly was more effective than my other answers. I took this picture on our way out of class.)

(This is my CPR/First Aid certificate)

(I actually got this picture from Jessica, a fellow judge at the tournaments. He's sensei Jack and was one of the senseis I interviewed. Although I don't mention him much in my research, he was actually pretty influential in my project. His philosophy when it comes to teaching young children is VERY effective. He helped me get the right attitude for teaching young kids. That's why, even though I didn't personally take this picture I wanted to make sure I included him since he is important.)

(This is one of the unofficial interviews that I conducted in the last tournament I judged at. My interviewee is Sensei Andrew.)

No comments:

Post a Comment