Saturday, August 31, 2013

An interesting talk with my sensei...

After completing my 1st interview with my sensei, he kept telling me some anecdotes from past years. After finishing up a few stories he told me, "You know, being a sensei is more than just teaching." He explained to me being a sensei encompasses being a good mentor, coach, and a role model. Also he told me that although the goals of being a sensei differed between individuals, a few things that every sensei should pursue while developing a class should be to:
- effectively transfer knowledge
- establish a class
- raise capable students
- training competitors
- and finally to raise a successor
In addition you should also be aware of the needs of your students and try to cater to their learning pace and style. Basically, there's so much more to teaching karate than just the act of telling a bunch of students how to perform a kick.
Therefore, in order to be a good sensei, you should not only be able to teach techniques, but also go beyond that to truly establish your class.

No comments:

Post a Comment