Friday, February 28, 2014

Solidifying Research

This month I mainly focused on solidifying my answers' research, and thusly I believe I might have found my best answer. My three answers are:

- parental involvement,
- background knowledge and adequate teaching ability, and
- being prepared (as in always making sure to bring in the equipment necessary for the activities and/or be prepared for any injuries that might arise during the class)

After beginning the advisory meetings I set myself a goal to try to find more solid research for all of my answers so I could start forming my best answer. A few hours of research reading after, I found that out of all my answers, my second answer stood out as the most solid one. Not only did my research reflect that, but also my interviews. After my 3rd interview, I had a discussion with my interviewee about what she thought was the best answer. Together we found that, while my first and third answer are good, they are not fully essential. We disproved my first answer, parental involvement, by reasoning that a student could excel in karate, even without a healthy level of parental involvement. We also agreed that since karate could be practiced and learned anywhere, then being prepared isn't always essential because a sensei could always just improvise and work with what they have to teach class well.

On the other hand, my second answer is as solid as it can be. It seems to be that both my research and my interviewee tend to coincide in the fact that the most important factor to effectively teach karate to kids is the knowledge and teaching skills of the sensei.

So, all in all, I came to the conclusion that, while parental involvement and being well prepared are very important to running a successful kids karate class, they are not essential. They are simply complements to my second answer. That is why when looking for a good karate class for either kids or adults, the most important thing to do is to pay attention to the sensei in order to know if he really is knowledgeable enough and if he has good teaching skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment