Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Blog 8: Research and Working EQ

1. What is your working EQ?
      - What is the most important factor to effectively teach karate?

2. What is a possible answer to your working EQ?
      - To get parents more involved and more interested in helping out their kids in learning karate.
      - Having effective ways of explaining techniques in a way that students can easily understand and
        follow.
      - Practice! Practice makes perfect. If you can get students to get motivated enough to practice
        regularly, they are bound to be good at karate, or at least improve.

3. What is the most important source you have used that has helped you come up with an answer to your working EQ?
      - The most important article/source that has helped me the most would have to be "The Art of Teaching" by Peter Lindsay. It explains how important a good teacher is and what exactly constitutes a good teacher/sensei. Also, I'm not sure if this counts as a source, but my mentorship has been instrumental in reaching my EQ and its answers. I can read about what a good teacher is and how they teach, but I think that being able to work under a great sensei has helped me the most.

4. Who is your mentor, or where are you volunteering, how does what you are doing relate to your working EQ?
       - My mentor's name is Fabian Villalobos and I'm volunteering at his Friday night classes. They are from 5:30- 9 pm. I basically help him out in demonstrations, in doing the stretches with the students, occasionally teaching, and in whatever else I can help with. Since I lead the class a great deal and I'm perfecting my teaching skills, I'm coming closer to getting concise answers to my EQ, not through reading research, but with experience. By teaching, I get to observe what helps students the most and that is basically what my EQ is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment